Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Socially Responsible & Committed to Feeling Great!

So! When this blog was originally created it was titled "Plants For Life" and it cataloged my 6 day juicing challenge. After I finished my juicing challenge which consisted of consuming nothing but 74 ounces of juiced plants and vegetables for 6 days I returned to eating grains, a fair amount of sugar (but not as much as before), some fast food again (significantly less then before), some meat (about once or twice a week), and a LOT of dairy (all day, every day).

What I learned was the juicing fast was a temporary fix for my not-s0-temporary problems which include the following:
Oversleeping
Periods of exhaustion that come and go all day long
Mental Fog (difficulty concentrating/focusing, having difficulty articulating my thoughts at times, forgetting things frequently, etc)
Lack of sustained energy when working out & running
Debilitating menstrual cramps
Periods of irritability

I am convinced these problems are associated with my diet more than ever because during the 6 day juice fast and for about 14 days after I felt amazing and completely "symptom free". I enjoyed less sleep, sustained energy, mental clarity, amazing work out sessions & long runs, a menstrual cycle completely absent of pain (!!!!), and mood stability.

So why VEGAN?

I have been reading a lot of research on the benefits of a Vegan diet which include experiencing everything I have listed above. Additionally, I have learned more about the devastating impact that meat (and dairy) consumption has on the environment, and animal cruelty in agriculture. I have also ready a number of research articles that not only identify known carcinogens in meat (and dairy) but also connected the consumption with an increased risk of heart disease, obesity, dementia, and autoimmune disorders. I have even read that countries with litte-no meat (and dairy) consumption happen to have little-practically no rates of cancer or obesity and significantly reduced rates of heat disease.

One easy to read book that really explains everything I have mentioned cohesively and with supporting evidence is Alicia Silverstone's book titled: "The Kind Diet". I was a little skeptical at first, after all she is a celebrity and I was almost expecting some crazy antidote for how to become skinny by following a restrictive diet that claims to help the environment. That is not at all what this book is about. It is a genuine case for becoming a Vegan supported by case studies, empirical research, and exploitation of the ways in which media manipulate American Society into consuming meat (and dairy) after being funded by meat and dairy big wig providers. It does not suggest that meat and dairy consumption is destroying our precious Earth, it proves it to you.

In no way do I believe I could jump right into becoming a full-time Vegan overnight. Being the cheese, egg, and ice-cream junkie that I am, I know it is going to take some time. I plan to blog about my transition, and hopefully cultivate support. I also plan to share articles, quotes, other blogs, and books that I come across that are relevant to this journey.

I thank you in advance for coming on this journey with me! As a little disclaimer I'd also like to add that in no way do I intend to push a Vegan diet on anyone else.

Links:
Purchase The Kind Diet Here!
The Kind Life . Com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelly, great site. My daughter is a vegetarian she is 15 and has been since she was 10. She does eat cheese but no eggs or milk. I have been working on being vegetarian too and I am doing ok accept for a b 12 deficiency. The b 12 is something you can only get from meat unless you take a supplement so I am taking the supplement now and hope to convert permanently soon. Good luck with your journey, I do hope to eventually work my way into being vegan with raw foods as well but...one step at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support! I also plan to begin taking a b12 supplement a couple of times a week. I am also following the moto of one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete