Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Vegan Eating in Cape Cod!

Hello Folks! Sorry it has been so long since I have updated, I have been very busy but I have a lot of great Vegan experiences to share with you! My sister invited me to a weekend getaway in Chatham, Cape Cod with her and her friends and I spent 3 gorgeous days sampling the local cuisine. I was pleasantly shocked at how easy it was to maintain my dietary commitment in a place that is known for its excellent seafood restaurants.

Friday:
My sister's friend and I drove to Chatham to meet the rest of the party after my grad class Friday afternoon, and arrived around dinner time. We chose the to eat our dinner at Camparis and I was able to order a simple marinara pasta seasoned with basil, garlic, and oregano. It was pretty tasty and paired perfectly with two nice glasses of red pinot nior.

Saturday:
We woke up early and visited the Lazy Lobster for breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of choices I had to create my own breakfast. I combined a number of side dishes which included black beans, a fruit bowl, and hash browns. The meal was wonderfully satisfying and packed with enough fiber, protein, and vitamins to prepare me for a long busy day.

We took a trip to Truro Vineyards and stopped to check out some local shopping stores along the way. The vineyard was beautiful and we were lucky enough to enjoy a wine tasting outdoors under the warm spring sun. On our way back we stopped in Wellfleet Cape Cod to visit The Bookstore Restaurant. Their was not anything strictly vegetarian or vegan offered on the menu but I was able to ask to modify a Turkey Avocado Wrap to make it Vegan friendly. I asked the waitress to eliminate the turkey, cheese, and mayonnaise which left me with a avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion, and pepper wrap. It was really tasty although I regretted not asking her for balsamic vinaigrette to dip it in.

For dinner we decided to visit Hyannis and try Embargo Marinis & Tapas Restaraunt. I am sure glad we did because the food was so excellent that my mouth is actually watering as I begin to write about it. Their were so many options available for both non-vegan and vegan eaters that our table sent the waitress away more than once while we struggled to decide on our orders. For anyone who is unfamiliar with tapas, they are a wide variety of appetizers, or snacks in Spanish cuisine. They may be cold or warm and are typically shared and combined to make a full meal. I finally settled on ordering a dish called the "Tree Hugga" which consisted of vegetable sushi rolls and hummus with lemon, herb & tabouli Salad and flat bread. The hummus was packed full of flavor and tasted amazingly fresh. The sushi rolls were voluptuous and satisfying. The whole party left feeling fat and happy. Embargo is now officially my favorite Cape Cod restaurant, and one I recommend everyone to try.

Sunday:
Before heading out we visited Chatam Coffee Company which I also fell in love with. Everything there is fleshly made in view behind the ordering counter and they pay attention to using natural ingredients and even had some Vegan food items. The atmosphere of the place made me feel at home and was decorated with creative recycled store items. I ordered a Cinnamon raisin bagel with marmalade jelly. I also grabbed a Vegan apple cinnamon square because it looked irresistible. On our way back home we visited some outlet stores and did some shopping (window shopping for me) and then got back on the road to travel home. We didn't stop for lunch so I ate my apple cinnamon square which was incredibly filling and perfect comfort food for a cold rainy Sunday afternoon drive.

After arriving home, my boyfriend Luc asked me to join him and our friends at India Kitchen in Manchester. I love Indian food so much that I frequently purchase Amy's Kitchen frozen Indian cuisine meals. Words can really not describe how incredible India Kitchen's food is. They had an entire page in their menu dedicated to vegetarian dishes! We ordered vegetable samosas for an appetizer along with garlic nan bread. I ordered mild Kadai Vegetable Curry which was phenomenal. It was sweet and yet spicy at the same time with a plentiful variety of vegetables and huge satisfying chunks of potatoes. The food was so incredible that if my budget allowed for it, I'd eat their 4 times a week at a minimum. The food is a bit on the pricey side but really is valued quite accurately. Our waiter told us to check Living Social and Groupon for discounts. The couple we ate with told us that the restaurant was responsible for turning them on to Indian food. For anyone living in the area, if you haven't already done so, please give this place a try, your taste buds will thank you.

Coming up this week: I plan to try a new self-created vegan recipe. I am also planning on attending Connecticut's Vegiterian and Healthy Living Festivle this weekend. Admission is free with a donation of a non-perishable vegan/vegetarian food item!

No comments:

Post a Comment